Damascus Road Community Church seeks to be an Acts 1:8 community—empowered by the Holy Spirit to be the witnesses of Jesus moving outward into our world in a series of three concentric circles:
- First in our own homes, neighborhoods and community (personal spheres of influence [Jerusalem]).
- Next, to the surrounding regions and our nation [Judea and Samaria].
- Finally, as Acts 1:8 says: to the ends of the earth.
That final, largest circle has led us to partner with congregations on three continents outside the United States, even as we continue multiple mission projects within our own region and nation. Our World Mission countries are: Honduras, Nicaragua, India and South Africa.
In each location we support and serve strong local ministries guided by these three overarching principles:
- We go to serve under the mission and direction of our sister churches: We do not go to dictate ideas or program, but to serve under and support the stated mission of the congregational leaders who carry on their work, 24/7, before, during and after our teams come and go.
- We believe in the importance of local, shared leadership: Our mission churches each have strong indigenous leaders who practice shared leadership, and have a proven track records for teaching the New Testament Gospel of Christ and serving others unselfishly and effectively.
- We require financial integrity of every mission we support: What we require of ourselves we ask for in our mission partners: open and transparent financial integrity and high accountability in the use of all funds given for the Lord’s work.
Our congregation believes that we cannot avert our eyes away from the poverty, hunger, hurt and needs of this world, nor should we be overwhelmed by the magnitude of the need. We cannot feed, cloth or offer salvation to everyone, but we can do all we can for as many as we can. We can expand our impact and scope over time. We realize that in billions of hearts there is a hunger for something more than food. They are hungry for the truth of God’s love in Jesus Christ and that is ultimately why we go. As we go, we learn that affluence is not the true wealth, but it is deep trust in God’s love and deep joy in His daily gifts. We are blessed as much or more than we bless. We go because Jesus Christ said: I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.
Damascus Road World Missions offers a variety of ways for everyone to get involved with missions both in the U.S. and abroad. For more information: Contact Roger Record.